Why PRP Therapy Has Become a Popular Treatment

Why PRP Therapy Has Become a Popular Treatment

There are many ways to help heal injuries ranging from rest and ice to medications and even surgery in serious cases. Now there is another cutting-edge option — platelet-rich plasma therapy (PRP therapy).

Dr. Jeremy Woodson and our highly skilled staff at our private practice in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, provide top-notch orthopedic care for people of all ages and activity levels. Whether you're looking to improve your sports performance or have an issue with your knee, shoulder, or another joint, we offer proven personalized treatments, including the popular platelet-rich plasma therapy.

Platelet-rich plasma therapy

As famous athletes like Tiger Woods use PRP therapy to aid in healing, it has become more popular. Fortunately, it is accessible to people who aren’t athletes as well.

Red blood cells, white blood cells, and platelets make up about 45% of our blood, while plasma, the liquid portion, makes up the remaining 55%. During PRP therapy, platelets are separated and used to create a special serum that has a 94% greater concentration than regular blood. It also contains up to 10 times the amount of growth factors, which play a crucial role in recovery after an injury.

How it works

The procedure is simple and easy. About two teaspoons of blood are drawn and placed in a centrifuge, which spins to separate the platelets from the other parts of the blood. Then, the serum is injected into the injured area to stimulate healing.


Platelet-rich plasma therapy boasts a wide variety of uses and benefits. It may help to reduce inflammation as well as decrease or alleviate pain. It can also potentially repair or revitalize damaged tissue, heal sports and other injuries, and accelerate recovery. Depending on the individual and injury, it may be able to help avoid more involved and invasive treatments, such as surgery.


PRP therapy has become popular for many reasons. The foremost reason is that it can often help speed recovery and get people back on the court or even just back to enjoying an active life faster. In addition, this treatment is safe with a very low risk of allergic reaction or cross infection because individuals use their own blood.

Diagnosis and treatment

Getting a proper diagnosis is the first step to determining if platelet-rich plasma therapy is the right treatment for you. We begin with a comprehensive medical history and physical exam and may order diagnostic tests depending on the physical complaint. Once we know the extent of the issue, we create a personalized treatment plan that promotes the best and fastest recovery.

If you have experienced an injury or are living with chronic pain, call our office today at 405-233-3602 for an appointment and find out if platelet-rich plasma therapy is right for you.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Bad Habits That Are Making Your Shoulder Pain Worse

Shoulder pain can result from injuries, but it can also develop due to bad habits at work and in daily life. Read on to learn more about what actions to watch out for and what you can do to keep your shoulders healthy.

The Link Between Your Sleeping Position and Pain

Sleep is often equated with comfort and coziness, but for many people, these ideas are merely dreams. Read on to learn more about how sleep positions can impact pain — and how to better position the body for a more refreshed morning.

How Is a Cartilage Tear Repaired?

Cartilage tears can occur due to injury or wear-and-tear over time. Sometimes the damage can repair itself, while in other cases, arthroscopic surgery may be required. Read on to learn more.